What’s a Special Event Book Table?
Also known as a consignment, a special event book table is a selection of books for sale offered at a specific time and place: at a weekend Gathering, at the meeting for 2 consecutive First Days, at a Peace Fair, etc.
Why would we offer a Special Event Book Table?
If you don’t feel quite ready to commit to a continuously maintained monthly meeting book table, you might consider a one-time special event book table. If you’d like to raise a little money and offer your meeting Quaker books around the holiday season, a book table is a low-risk way to do just that. If your meeting organizes a Peace Fair, books from QuakerBooks can work as wonderful outreach and raise a little money as well. If you are offering a spiritual formation program or a course for adult religious education, a one time book table can let you order the books for the course plus supplemental material with little risk to the meeting. If you’d like parents in your meeting to have the opportunity to buy Quaker books for their children, a special event book table would be a way to provide a full range of titles. If you have a special gathering for the members and attenders of your meeting, a QuakerBooks special event book table could be a wonderful addition to the event.
How Does it Work?
The process is very simple. Call either Graham or Jerimy at 800-966-4556 or e-mail one of us at bookstore-at-fgcquaker.org. Let us know when you’d like the books, what sort of event you’re planning, the type of material you’d like to offer and approximately how much. You can supply us with a specific list of books or we can customize the book selection according to the criteria you give us. Tell us who should get the bill and where the books should be shipped. We make sure the books arrive in good time to the specified location and we pay the shipping to get them to you. We can supply display stands if you request them. You display the books on tables or shelves and sell the books during the event. After it’s over, pack them carefully and ship them back to us on your dime. We check the books back in and bill you for what sold less 10%. You can either send us the checks you received or have the funds go through the meeting and send us just one check.
Here is a list of possible events at which you might consider offering a consignment of books from QuakerBooks of FGC:
• a Peace Fair
• a Community Outreach event
• your meeting’s holiday party
• the beginning of a new First Day school session
• the beginning of a new Adult Religious Education course
• your meeting’s annual Jumble sale
• at a special event in which a Friend gives a talk
• your meeting retreat
• a potluck offered by your meeting
• a committee meeting session which is focusing on a particular issue
• a meeting for worship with attention to business which is focusing on a particular issue
• a meeting of a working group (i. e. , on racism, on the environment, on eldering)
• your Quarterly meeting
• your Yearly Meeting
• your Mid-Year or Interim Meeting
• a gathering of First Day School Teachers
• a gathering of Quaker Parents
• a gathering to focus on Eldership
• a spiritual formation retreat or course
• a conference organized by your monthly or yearly meeting